Instructions for Participants: Clinical Investigator Grant
The Canadian Academy of Audiology (CAA) Clinical-Research Grant will provide support, both financial and practical, to individuals wanting to investigate a unique research question on hearing and/or balance. The successful applicant will receive the support of the CAA Science and Education Committee (SaEC) to help coordinate access to the proper resources (e.g., equipment, people, processes) to see the project to completion. Access to advanced testing facilities or established research personnel and mentors is not an application requirement.
II. Amount Awarded
- One award of up to $5,000 or two awards of up to $2,500. This decision will be at the discretion of the CAA SaEC and will depend on the number and quality of the submitted application grants
- Free registration for one applicant per award at a future CAA conference of his/her choosing within five years of the award to present his/her findings during the CAA Poster and/or Podium Sessions
- The award recipient will be announced at the annual CAA conference
- The award recipient will be notified by e-mail approximately one month following the CAA conference by a member of the CAA SaEC if the individual was not in attendance during the official announcement at the conference. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified by e-mail approximately one month following the award announcement at the CAA conference
- The award recipient will be announced on the CAA website, in the CAA blog, and in the Canadian Audiologist magazine
IV. Applicant Eligibility and Requirements
Applicants must at the time of application:
- Be a current member of the Canadian Academy of Audiology (CAA)
- Attempt to include a version of the application in English because of the small, possibly international, reviewer pool
- Not submit more than one application listed as primary applicant
- Be willing to provide additional information about details of the application or research proposal, as required by the SaEC
Successful applicants will be expected to:
- Present his/her findings at a CAA conference (registration fees to be waived for one presenter at this event only) within five years from the date of the award
- Publish his/her findings within five years from the date of the award
- Agree to be interviewed for the CAA website, CAA blog, and the Canadian Audiologist magazine
- Disclose funding from CAA in any presentation and publication
V. Eligible Activities
Funds associated with the CAA Clinical-Research Grant are proposed to cover only activities and supplies directly associated with new projects. This includes the salaries of assisting personnel, purchasing necessary equipment (e.g., software), attending workshops, conferences or classes, which provide learning opportunities and training directly related to research activities, subject care fees and other essential authorized expenses and supplies.
Funds may not be used to cover activities related to any ongoing or completed research projects.
Application Process and Deadline
- Eligible applicants must submit the following documentation by August 15 of the application year:
- Proposal (maximum 2 pages; required)
- Identify name of primary investigator(s), co-applicant(s) and mentor(s)
- Title, purpose and description of the project
- Clinical significance or clinical potential
- Timeline for completion (18 month maximum)
- Detailed budget and justifications
- Identification of any other funding sources or submitted funding applications for the same project
- Disclosure of any real or perceived conflicts of interest
- Human and animal subjects ethical review procedure (if required)
- Curriculum Vitae or resume for (each) investigator listed on the application, including contact information (required)
- Letter of commitment from research mentor (if applicable)
- The CAA SaEC will help secure a mentor for an applicant when needed; please send request to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than July 15 of the application year if needing CAA SaEC assistance to arrange mentor support
- Letter of support from employer (e.g., use of facilities) (if applicable).
*Note: No application form is required. All submissions and queries are to be emailed to email@example.com.