Genetic disorders can be caused by a change(s) in a gene. Every individual has two copies of the same gene. Genetic disorders are inherited in different ways. Usher syndrome is a recessive disorder.
- a person must inherit a change in the same gene from each parent ~ in order to have the disorder
- a person with one changed gene does not have the disorder, but can pass either the changed or the unchanged gene on to his or her child
An individual with Usher syndrome usually has inherited a change in the same gene from each parent
An individual who has one changed Usher syndrome gene is called a carrier. When two carriers of the same Usher syndrome gene have a child together, with each birth there is a:
- 1-in-4 chance of having a child with Usher syndrome
- 2-in-4 chance of having a child who is a carrier
- 1-in-4 chance of having a child who neither has Usher syndrome nor is a carrier