We will be the national association for audiology in Canada.
The Canadian Academy of Audiology is dedicated to enhancing the role of audiologists as primary
hearing health care providers through advocacy, education and research.
The Canadian Academy of Audiology (CAA) is dedicated to enhancing the role of audiologists as primary hearing health care providers through advocacy, education and research.
The Academy’s vision is to represent the profession of audiology in Canada, and be the primary source of information to its members, external groups and the public. The Academy was founded in 1996 and incorporated in October of 1998.
Historically, the Academy has been involved in the following areas:
- Maintenance and advancement of ethical standards of practice
- Improvement of the abilities of its members by providing conferences, webinars, scoping and literature reviews, and supporting student education
- Provision of educational resources, such as videos, and a semi-monthly online journal
- Support of research
- Advocacy on behalf of audiologists on relevant national issues
Changes to the Canadian health care system, the rapid growth of hearing aid technology, the introduction of doctorate degrees, and the development of internationally recognized newborn hearing screening programs are among a few recent examples of the new picture of audiology.
In seven Canadian provinces, professional regulatory colleges ensure minimum standards as well as quality of practice. In provinces where no college or regulating body exists, a “Mutual Recognition Agreement” ensures the same standards of practice for audiologists across Canada.
The CAA is the voice for audiology in Canada and offers some compelling and attractive membership services:
- Internationally acclaimed conferences with evidence-based, audiology-focused topics and presentations.
- Canadian Audiologist is an e-journal published six times a year and is the official publication of the Canadian Academy of Audiology.
- Web-based marketing and promotional “tools”.
- A focus on the enhancement of the profession through cooperation and collaboration with professional regulatory bodies.
- An organization by audiologists for audiologists.
- Affordable liability and other group insurance programs for individuals and businesses.
The CAA Board of Directors is currently implementing an ambitious marketing campaign to promote the profession, and in doing so expand CAA’s professional presence within government agencies, universities and colleges, and the public sector.